Sunday, June 10, 2012

First Comes Love

That rhyme has always been a little off. Love, marriage, and the baby comes IN a baby carriage? I have witnessed love, marriage, and babies, and babies can hardly fit through 10cm - a carriage for damn sure isn't going to make it. Then again, I guess there are few words that rhyme with marriage.

Baby season is in full swing for my circle of friends. The love happened (lots of engagements about the same time) and the marriage, too (one year I was at or in 4 weddings in 3 months). Now it's baby time. I recently attended a party where at least 2/3 of the females estaron embarasada. And the couple of couple friends I have who aren't pregged yet are in semi-serious talks about timing.

I love babies. I'm over the moon for my niece. One of my best friends from high school is due in October (I'm rooting for the 19th). One of my close friends here in Atlanta is due in September. Another friend here in the ATL is due in December. An acquaintance - who went through three rounds of IVF - is finally pregs and due sometime October(ish). A girl with whom I'm friendly from our seminary days is due around the same time. The family for whom I babysit had their third child about 3 weeks ago. Babies. Babies to hold and rock and smell their Johnson&Johnson heads... I've semi-joked that my cutoff date to have kids is around 32. If there's no love or marriage, I still want a baby and its carriage.

I actually went to church today, though I wasn't late enough to miss the new, awkward "hospitality time." Crap. But the sermon was about trusting God to provide in the future because God provided in the past. Whatever. I don't know if I'm ready to universalize that claim, but I am excited about the possibility I could get a dog within the next year.

It's ok. She is the best thing since
sliced bread.

1 comment:

  1. Do it! I want a niece/nephew to spoil! Which, of course, is not the best reason to have/adopt a kid but you know, it's how I feel at the moment.

    ReplyDelete