Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Adventures #10: The End...ish

Before I begin reflecting, I would like to issue the follow passive-aggressive statement, made possibly only by the relative annonymity of the world wide web:
Dear Sir:
Thank you for your carefully worded, professionally sterile, and emotionally cold response to my honest and heartfelt inquiry. Had you been rejecting me for a job interview, your statement would have been above reproach; however, given the actual situation, your response left much to be desired, including an actual answer to my honest and heartfelt inquiry. Your lack of warmth, painful to read and to bear, is felt most when considering the kindness of which I know you to be capable.
Furthermore, you employed the incorrect relative pronoun in your last paragraph. You were correct in your facts - I do have amazing friends who have and will continue to provide comfort and support; however as they are people and not objects, they should be "amazing friends who will provide support," not friends that provide support. If you need further grammatical clarity, please click here. Also, I find your excessive use of commas to be offensive.
Regards, etc.
Passive-aggressive is not good for relationships, but it sure does feel good to get it out online. So. Moving on. Literally. Because after three days of constant uncontrollable crying and dull ache I decided that I don't want to be sad. I don't want to be sad. I don't want to be sad. I want to move on, for him to be forgot and all to be as it was. I feel a certain amount of blah about dating. It's tiring and so.all.the.same. At least at first until you actually get to know a person, which starts around date #3. But I do want to get back on the horse, back in the game, back to business...all those metaphors. Which is why I already went on a date.

Confident Horseback Riding with Hypnosis
Look how happy I am
back on my horse. I'm laughing
and have a trendy straw hat.
I don't know if it was a good move or not - it certainly was sudden - but it seemed a good idea at the time. Textbook rebound, perhaps. And it was a textbook first date (being the professional first-dater that I am, I speak with authority). He was funny, asked questions and acted interested in the answers, tried to impress me with a few things he knew, followed up with an "I had a great time today" text. Check, check, check. Furthermore, after spending an hour discussing it at CCCG, I have more perspective on the whole situation and different ideas of what "moving on" can look like. Which includes taking a few weeks off this dating roundabout when my membership runs out tomorrow before getting back in the saddle. And which definitely includes me starting to run again (January bleak weather + bad news sadness = one 30 minute walk in 6 days).

Here's another thing I've learned experientially - and through Sex and the City (there was a marathon this past weekend on E!): everyone is weird, including me. Everyone has their quirks and their strange collections and habits and you just accept that when you have two individual people with individual weirdnesses trying to spend time together. There are many people with whom I could be compatible; at some point it becomes less about "you suck at this" and "you're wrong" and more about compatibility and fit and what weirdness you can handle. Except for Big Country. He really just sucked.

I also learned that Carrie Bradshaw agrees about the 3rd date thing, which I think is a sign that I'm probably on the right track with my other dating suppositions, too. Or that I have great hair, great outfits, great shoes, and a rent-controlled apartment. Anyhow, Carrie and the girls had a great conversation about people being like taxis - people are running around everywhere emotionally unavailable for whatever reason. When they're emotionally ready for a relationship, their light goes on and the first person to snag the taxi gets it. It's more a matter of timing and whether both your taxi lights are on and you happen to notice each other. And I think at some point you just say, I'm committing to this person. The End. It's not as romantic as Cinderella maybe, but I think it's actually more true. And besides, C-ella was weird, too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment