Monday, March 18, 2013

Adventures 2.0 - New site, new people, new...nope, that's it.

I actually got matched with a guy I tangentially know. A friend of a friend, that kind of thing. Anyhow, I decided to start online dating again. Taxi light is back on. I'm trying a different site, mainly because I didn't want to get the same batch of guys on the old one. It's taken some time to get used to this site. The features are different, the process is different, you essentially start directly with open communication (their email system). People "wink" a lot. I am all about the wink, but this is a little overkill. There are no questions, not much guidance in the profile part. There are too many buttons and tabs and editable sections. There are 8 ways to get to the same place, which is both confusing and annoying. I feel more prepared, though - like I know what to expect this time around - and I feel like I'm more relaxed. Less anxiety for it to "work" and more just having fun with it.

I also have a better idea of what (who) to look for and what (who) to avoid. There is still the same mix of TMI/overshare, iPhone self photos (which I've recently learned are called "selfies?"), do-you-really-think-that-about-yourself? statements, and attempted machismo. 99% of men in the metro Atlanta area still love to stay fit, be outside, and tailgate. Alabama and UGA football are again the top passions and there is no shortage of pictures of guys with bowties and shortsabovetheknee. I also didn't know there were so many laid-back and easy-going men in this city. It seems that Atlanta is full of them.

I haven't gone on any dates yet, but I am at that "so here's my number" phase with a couple guys. I don't know their names and probably won't learn them unless it turns into something. After all, there's only so much brain space I can devote to this. It'd be nice if they wore numbers, like in sports. Then I could just keep a short stats sheet in my head: #42 - 5'8", Decatur, 2 dogs, engineer. What else do I need to know, really, unless we hit it off? Then - like I do with sports teams - I'll learn their names and where they're from, where they went to school and who traded them. And follow them with a keen interest in how the season turns out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment