Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fail.

I've posted this before:


But I'm really trying to believe it this time. About a month ago on Nora's morning walk, I found this beagle wandering aimlessly around the apartment complex. It was covered in fleas, underweight, and in bad shape. I took the little guy home (little, but obviously very old) and called Animal Control (DeKalb County Animal Services, DCAS). I felt really bad for the old coot, so I had them call me if they didn't find an owner. They didn't. He's here. And it's awful.

This is the calmest behavior
he exhibited.
It isn't his fault. He is deaf and has cataracts, so I'm sure he can only make out shapes and maybe some light differential. He was neglected for so long I'm certain he has some serious mental issues. He just spent a few weeks in a DeKalb animal services cinderblock cell, which I'm certain did not help his anxiety. He's old.

But it's awful.

He's deaf, so his bark is this strangled shriek and he is so anxious that he barks constantly. It took a Benadryl and half of a Flexeril (a human muscle relaxer. I take half of one and I'm knocked out for hours) to calm him down last night. He had two Benadryl with breakfast this morning and he's still pacing the living room. He's incontinent, which makes it impossible to leave him unattended, but he shrieks and howls and whimpers and whines every time I gate him or crate him so it's impossible to contain him even while I do simple things around the house. Like shower. Or sleep. I'm sure my neighbors love me.
This is how I remember him.

I called the Human Society since they are no-kill and they are full. I am about to put on shoes and take him back to DCAS. That is going to go well.

Update 2:59pm: I took him back to DCAS and it went as well as I expected, though I was not expecting the icy stares and questions about my ability to care for a little creature. Apparently I should be wondering at how Nora's survived this long. Here's to you, little beagle buddy; may the force be with you.

...and also with you.

No wait, that's not right...


No comments:

Post a Comment